Monday, May 28, 2007

I Dream of Napoleon in Aquamarine

Kele from Bloc Party had one hell of a dream; it’s one that would make even Jerry Garcia envious. While Kele has been reminiscing of European history in Technicolor, I have been dreaming of the ultimate stadium, Wembley. I have seen this mecca of a stadium on television. It is the cathedral for the world religion of soccer. It has been closed for the past seven years in order to receive the proper refurbishing (I read up on the stadium history so that I would feel worthy enough to enter the gates of England’s version of Graceland). As a result, I have made it a mission to visit London’s 90,000-seater when I'm overseas. Whether it is on a tour or actually watch a match with my own two eyes as long as I get to step inside this piece of heaven on earth. As luck would have it England is playing Brazil in an international friendly next Friday (June 1st). Two of world’s greats on the same pitch; I have been scrounging for tickets all week. I finally hit jackpot on Thursday. One ticket in section 503 (read: nosebleeds!) costing me an arm and a leg. But you know what? I really don’t mind. I’m going to the greatest stadium in the world and seeing the likes of Ronaldinho, Robinho, Kaka’, John Terry, Frank Lampard, Steven Gerrard, and the return of David Beckham. Wembley is sold out and the English fans are going to give the England squad a proper welcome home. My first foray into the beautiful game is going to be a baptism by unwavering passion and intensity accompanied by Brazilian Samba music and I could not be more excited.

Play on:

I watched the Champions League Final on Wednesday and it was a highly entertaining match. It was a back and forth affair but the end result was a disappointment. It made me cringe to watch another Italian side win a major trophy. I’m no soccer genius but I think that Liverpool should have taken Bolo Zenden off after he showed futility on the left flank. Once AC Milan scored that fluke goal, Rafa Benitez should have put Harry Kewell on. He really didn’t have much time to put his mark on the game. Adding to Liverpool’s woes was the fact that Steven Gerrard’s world class ability eluded him. He seemed very ordinary as he miffed a chance to equalize after creating a dangerous turnover in Milan’s end. Liverpool often relies on Gerrard and his talent to win games. Unfortunately for the Reds, Gerrard did not find the back of the net. Milan put another one in the net and the game seemed out of reach. Peter Crouch came on too late to make an impact and although Dirk “the Gargoyle” Kuyt’s late consolation made things interesting, but it was too little too late.

My farewell tour led me to Boston earlier this week with a trip to the ICA. This building might look like a giant storage facility on the waterfront, but its full of awesome and equally bizarre artwork. Thanks to my tour guide I was able to see the best of what this place had to offer. On a nice day I recommend taking a few moments and just watching the busy Boston Harbor; I’ve always been a sucker for the salt air. The best part about this place is that its pretty cheap, $10 for students and its free on Thursday’s from 5 pm- 9 pm. I capped off my night with a dinner at Brown Sugar, a great Thai place on Comm Ave near BU. The service is good, nauseatingly good. Just expect a ton of water refills. If you like Thai food then I highly suggest you visit, but I have just one caveat, don’t get the Thai Tea. Not only does it taste terrible, but it will never quench your thirst. The weather was warm, the T was bumping and the 'R's were nonexistant; I’m going to miss Boston.

No comments: